Assistant Professor of English in Environmental Literatures and the Environmental Humanities
Northwestern University invites applications for a full time tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Environmental Literatures and Humanities. Possible areas of specialization might include environmental racism and justice, human and nonhuman relations, the literature of climate crisis, catastrophe studies, ecopoetics, or the energy humanities.
The tenure home for this position will be in the English Department; the person hired will also be affiliated with the Environmental Policy and Culture Program (EPC). Applicants must have PhD in hand by anticipated start date of September 1, 2024.
A cover letter, CV, writing sample (20-25pp double-spaced), and three recommendation letters must be submitted online via https://english.northwestern.edu/people/job-opening/index.html no later than November 6, 2023. Inquiries about the search may be sent to email@example.com.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach and advise at the undergraduate and graduate level, including an introductory lecture on literature and the environment as well as advanced seminars in their areas of specialization. Teaching responsibilities will contribute to both the English Department and the EPC Program. At Northwestern, the candidate will join a university with a broad, interdisciplinary community of environmental scholars affiliated with the Alice Kaplan Institute for the Humanities, the Center for Native American and Indigenous Research (CNAIR), and the newly established Environment, Culture, and Society graduate cluster.
To apply for this position please read the following instructions before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will only be accepted via online submission (see link below).
- Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files. Documents should include:
- Cover letter (size limit 4MB)
- CV (size limit 8MB)
- a writing sample of 20-25 pages (size limit 8MB)
- Please prepare a list of names and email addresses for your external academic references; your references will be contacted directly by the online system and invited to upload their letters on your behalf. For this reason, please be sure names and email addresses are entered correctly and accurately.
- Application materials (including recommendation letters) are due by November 6, 2023.
- All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled before clicking the "Submit" button.
- Please contact Ashley Woods with any questions.